02 December 2010

Leaves and Levities


How silently they tumble down,


And come to rest upon the ground.


To lay a carpet rich and rare,
Beneath the trees without a care,


Content to sleep,


Their work well done,


Colors gleaming in the sun.


At other times they wildly fly
until they nearly reach the sky.


Twisting, turning through the air,


Till all the trees stand stark and bare.


Exhausted, drop to earth below,


To wait, like children, for the snow.
Elise N. Brady

Thank you leaves.


Now. For the LEAVITY part.

During the Thanksgiving break we visited a
local Apple Store. This is how we found Ty.
Computers on either side of him somehow
were showing this same website.
His hints aren't so subtle...the closer
we approach Christmas. His teacher
just approved him for the real deal.
How convenient.

video

Kris and Ty practicing their chanters.
I love that Ty's eyes barely leave the
T.V. screen. You'll see why at the end.
(He finished off the season with
41 personal goals, by the way.)

Anne Marie in the background is
preparing application materials
for Graduate School, looking much
calmer on the outside than she
feels on the inside.

video

It's a boy thing.
I love that they are great friends.

(We must've had spaghetti for dinner.
That's the orange shirt Kris always puts
on over his shirt when we eat spaghetti.
It's been called for "when you die"
by more than one child.)

Next post: The Family and the Gathering

7 comments:

  1. Three comments:
    1. Ty never seems to take a breath while playing the bagpipe thingy. How in the hell is that possible. I noticed Kris take a couple. But, then again... he's old.

    2. Kris. Big props for taking Ty out in the match. I remember doing this with Dad until I was about Ty's age. We stopped because I broke two of Dad's ribs.

    3. Spaghetti Shirt? Really? I take back the props for winning the match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt...this is so funny to me. First of all...Ty is doing "circular breathing" through his nose to keep it going. Second of all...I almost (seriously) dedicated the wrestling video to you. I tried to upload a second video which is hilarious...but too long. You are probably the only one who may have watched the whole thing. Last, the spaghetti shirt is beloved around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Uncle Kris. That video certainly turned out differently than I thought it would (sorry for the low expectations Uncle Kris...maybe I was thinking of how my dad would have fared against one of my brothers?)
    I loved the leaves pictures...we don't really get the turning of the leaves in Texas and I've been missing it. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell Anne Marie I totally and completely sympathize with her about the whole graduate school thing in the sense that I too have been and still have a calm on the outside look and a totally different one on the inside when it comes to what i've been dealing with. I know it in no way is the same thing but the feelings I can definitely relate to. She's a tough cookie though. I have no doubt she'll find just the perfect place for her. That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger right? At least that's what i've been telling myself, the same can be applied here I suppose. Subtle is apparently not something Ty exudes but hey at least he tells you want he wants and doesn't hold back. And that is not necessarily a bad thing. It beats having to drag it out of him or guess. And as far as Brother Hyer's coveted pasta shirt, well I can definitely say that I already have staked claim on a few of my mother's things as well, which in my mind says hey would you rather your stuff be given to your kids and stay in the family when you pass on or go to complete strangers.:)The choice ultimately is yours.
    but I'd definitely root in the kids favor. :)
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures! Great videos! Can't wait to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was all so much fun to read and watch. I can't believe Kris is in good enough shape to even compete with Ty, that is pretty amazing. So was that bagpipes on the computer screen?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marie.. I remember when Chelsea was ready for the "real deal" with the bagpipes. I love hearing her play them now. It has been so fun for her and there are a ton of Bagpipe festivals back in the Boston area. Ann and the kids went with her to one when they still lived there. Good luck with listening to the practicing :)

    ReplyDelete