28 September 2010

Define Compassion, Love, and Joy

By this shall all men know that ye are my
disciples, if ye have love one to another.
John 13:35
Call, with some of 'his' residents.

Call works at a residential facility in Orem for mentally
challenged individuals. He loves his work. Recently he
shared with me that looking into the eyes of these people
seems to sort of take him to another place and he is lost
in their world for the moment and he feels "great joy."
In his words, "I can see why they are here...I feel
like they are to help us be better in our own lives."

Call receives such satisfaction from being with
"his" residents that he often volunteers many extra
hours of time. Last weekend he took this group of guys
to a regional Special Olympics held in Orem. Their
basketball team came in fourth. Out of five.
Love it!


There is a serious need for the charity that gives
attention to those who are unnoticed...Hope
to those who are discouraged...Aid to those
who are afflicted. Charity is love in action.

President Thomas S. Monson
9*25*10

If you judge people, you have no time to love them.
Mother Teresa

Compassion:
*Deep awareness of the suffering of another;
*Sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another,
accompanied by an urge to help;
*Kindness, Tenderness, Understanding.

8 comments:

  1. it was so fun seeing Call the other day. He told us some stories from his work, sounds like he is having an amazing experience working there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome job for Call. That must be such a rewarding challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time you talk of Call and the work he is doing I can't help but be moved by what he is doing. It's great to see your kids making a difference and blessing peoples lives and enjoying every moment of it. If only there was no real need for us to make money to support ourselves I would gladly take payment in knowing I made a difference and blessed someone's life for that to me is the more valuable and life sustaining alternative to carry with me the rest of my life. Tell him to keep it up. The impact he is making is an incredible one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great thing he is doing. I sometimes think we fall into the trap of thinking that we have to be kind to them because they need us, when in reality we really, really need them. Those words from President Monson's talk about "the unnoticed" stood out to me, too--Christ was the Master at noticing the invisible ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Call is a wonderful and special young man...we all love him over here at the Falke house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my dudes. What a love. He's said a lot of the same things to me, loving being with his people at work and really 'getting' them. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this. I feel the same way about Ella...she is here to make me ( and everyone she meets)a better person. I would be too lazy and never make much of myself if she didn't force me to remember the big picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great guy! With the knowledge we have we know these individuals are some of the choicest of Heavenly Father's children. How blesses Call will be in the next life to count them as his friends.

    ReplyDelete