11 May 2010

Not The Devil's Workshop...


~Idle Hands Are The Devil's Workshop~
The last few weekends
have been full of activity.
No idle hands here!


Ty, with fellow Scouts and leaders work on his
Eagle Project. They have been painting the rusty
iron fences of the River Oaks Gun Range in preparation
for their opening day. In addition, they are applying
sealant to a couple of their storage sheds.


I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a
catcher's mitt on both hands. You need to
be able to throw something back.
~Maya Angelou~


Food. Always a good motivator.


It's easy to make a buck. It's a lot
tougher to make a difference.
~Tom Brokaw~


Ty with the President
of the Range, Duane Young.


Wiki List names the following individuals as
some of their "top ten" Famous Eagle Scouts:

Gerald Ford, 38th President of the United States
Neil Armstrong, First man on the moon
James Lovell, Astronaut
Steven Spielberg, Film Director/Producer
J. Willard Marriott, Jr., President Marriott Corporation


Our Family lists the most famous Eagle Scouts
a little differently:

Kris Hyer, Dad
Chase Hyer, Brother
Call Hyer, Brother
Dodd Hyer, Uncle
Kevin Hyer, Uncle
Ric Huntington, Uncle
Creed Rowan, Uncle
Richard Rowan, Uncle
Steven Rowan, Uncle
Matthew Rowan, Uncle
Jamin Rowan, Cousin
Chad Rowan, Cousin
Spencer Rowan, Cousin
Ganon Rowan, Cousin
Robert Rowan, Cousin
Grant Rowan, Cousin
Matt Rowan, Cousin
Brad Rowan, Cousin
Mark Rowan, Cousin
Michael Rowan, Cousin
Jeffrey Rowan, Cousin
Scott Rowan, Cousin
Calder Huntington, Cousin
Coulson Huntington, Cousin
Chandler Hyer, Cousin
Cameron Hyer, Cousin
Dallin Hyer, Cousin
Jared Hyer, Cousin
Kevin Hyer, Cousin
Robert Hyer, Cousin
David Hyer, Cousin
Justin Hyer, Cousin

Three more cousins to go. No pressure.


We participated in the Statewide day of
"Mormon Helping Hands." Three different
projects took place in Turlock. Our family
helped paint a stenciled message over
already prepared storm drains. Message read:
The Solution = No Pollution
Drains To River


Mother's Day, 2010

Thou art thy mother's glass, and she
in thee calls back the lovely
April of her prime.
~William Shakespeare~


Any mother could perform the jobs of several
air traffic controllers with ease.
~Lisa Alther~


This is my SONshine. Ty has been taking Spanish
at school. He is constantly whipping off Spanish
phrases and sort of 'speaking in tongues.' It is pretty
funny. He surprised me with this hilarious balloon,
gave me a Spanish Mother's Day card and wrote his
entire message in Spanish. He'll probably be
called to serve his mission in Sweden.

The secret to humor is surprise.
~Aristotle~


Mother---that was the bank where we deposited
all our hurts and worries. ~DeWitt Talmage~
(Still is)

If I was damned of body and soul, I know
whose prayers would make me whole.
Mother o'mine, O mother o'mine.
~Rudyard Kipling~


It wouldn't be a complete visit from my
mother if she didn't gift me with
roses from her garden.

I often go walking in meadows of clover,
And I gather armfuls of blossoms of blue.
I gather the blossoms the whole meadow over;
Dear mother, all flowers remind me of you.
~Phyllis Luch~

9 comments:

  1. Hurray for Eagle Scouts. I love me a man in uniform. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you used that song about the flowers. Funny enough, when the primary kids sang that in church on sunday i hear that last phrase and thought, 'well, isn't that true!' I still can never see a flower and not think of you and grandma both. Guess both our mothers passed that along :)
    Glad you had a fun day. It was so nice to have my mom and grandma here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Eagle projects....I remember them well. Fabulous long line of them in your family.
    I love that your Mother brings you flowers....such a happy day.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know where to begin, I loved all the quotes, pictures, flowers and especially the long list of family Eagle Scouts. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Eagle Scout list was so amazing...wow what a legacy for Ty to follow! Way to go Ty! Enjoy those moments with your mom...I sang "I often go walking" at my mom's funeral, as it was one of her favorite songs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Ty Go! Yea, takes lots of hard work on both your parts :)

    Beautiful flowers. We were in Mexico on Mothers Day and in Mexico- mothers day is celebrated on Monday- so Nancy and I took full advantage of that and were waited on on Sunday and Monday :)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTY, many people asked me at the resort where they could find a glass pendant like mine. I enjoyed telling everyone it was a one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great thing, Ty! Another strong link in a strong chain.

    So I liked all the photos, and I giggled when I saw the one of Anne Marie standing by Kris and the other fellow painting on the stencil--she looks like she's oversee-ing the operation. "Don't be so stingy with that paint, now."

    And a happy belated Mother's Day to a mother who taught (and still teaches) me so much about loving her children--you're so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to see boys working hard! What a great project and a great heritage.

    Happy Mothers Day Marie. You're wonderful . .

    ReplyDelete