24 October 2009

No More Murmur

A couple of hours after I took the video (in
my previous post) sharing
the beautiful whisper of our beloved trees...
I heard a crack.

It necessitated the removal of two Liquidambar
and our Strawberry Tree.
video

We planted these trees. We watched them grow. We loved
the birds and the nests we watched them build year after
year. I loved the first sight of new buds. I loved
seeing the fresh green emerge from the buds, followed by
deeper green followed by red and yellow. My hummingbirds
will wonder where the juicy red balls and the light pink blossoms
went...we planted the Strawberry Tree for them. I will even
miss the little spiky balls that fell from the Liquid Ambers.
My children, their cousins and their friends hid under these
trees. They traveled to far off lands under these trees. I
enjoyed these trees from my kitchen sink for hours.


Blank sky where the trees used to sway. This is the
exact same spot I was standing when I took the
video in which you can hear the trees murmuring
and whispering a few weeks ago. My bedroom
is right here. I used to hear birds when I woke
up in the mornings. It is quiet now.

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
~Joyce Kilmer~

Thank You, Trees.

5 comments:

  1. They lived a good life. . . Our neighbor's sweet gum tree came down last year and I've missed it, "gumballs" and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! I'm almost crying. I hate to see something living be broken up and torn away like that. Our home is so much of the yard and flowers you have tended to for years, now there's a gap. I vote we plant something right away!

    Good bye trees~

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sad, I hope it didn't do any damage to your home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about your trees...that storm really took its toll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so sad! You will have to show us what you replace it with. I love you fall pictures though, was that from this year?

    ReplyDelete