15 October 2009

A Murmur In The Trees


There will come soft rain...
and the smell of the ground.
~Sara Teasdale~


There was...
a murmur in the trees...
~Emily Dickinson~


...the leaves unhooked themselves
from trees...
~Dickinson~


I am sure it is a great mistake always to
know enough to go in when it rains.
One may keep snug and dry by such knowledge,
but one misses a world of loveliness.
~Adeline Kapp~

I am currently reading Steinbeck's
The Winter of Our Discontent.
I found it ironic that I read the following passage
the very evening the winds and rain blew through:

A day, a livelong day, is not one thing but many. It changes
not only in growing light toward zenith and decline again,
but in texture and mood, in tone and meaning, warped by
a thousand factors of season, of heat or cold, of still or multi-
winds, torqued by odors, tastes, and the fabrics of ice or grass,
of bud or leaf or black-drawn naked limbs. And as a day changes
so do its subjects, bugs and birds, cats, dogs, butterflies...
and people.

(Caramel looks better than a few weeks ago, huh?!)


All was silent as before--
All silent save the dripping rain.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow~

There was "a murmur in
the trees..."
And my heart leapt up!

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful time of year, (one that we don't really get here!)
    I'd be interested to hear how you look The Winter of Our Discontent. I love Steinbeck, but have never read that one, (despite the fact that I own it in a collection of his.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I really liked how you could hear the wind chimes at the very last second in the video. Our backyard in the winter/fall isn't our backyard unless I hear those. It's funny but i didn't feel super familiar with the wind untill the chimes, then I was like, "oh, that's home".
    Carmel looks so beautiful! Little girl.
    The begonias are great too. vibrant color. And love the shot through the side window. did we trim our trees? cus you can see out now!
    Good post. I've been reading tons of classics lately too and there are SO many good quotes all throughout~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy that Carmel is doing so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard them too Anne Marie, it was so beautiful. Michael and I are reading Great Expectations together. He has read it but I haven't and I am loving it. Carmel does look great. By the way, fall came back this week at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes when I listen to wind in trees if I close my eyes I can convince myself I'm near a running river.

    ReplyDelete