06 May 2009

Hens and Chicks for Mother's Day

Definition of 'Hens and Chicks'

The Hen is the main plant--the chicks are the offspring which
 start as tiny buds on the main plant and soon sprout their
 own roots, taking up residence close to the mother plant.

(These are in my yard.  I received the 'starts' for them 
from my mother's garden several years ago.)


Here, you see a human exhibit of  'Hens and Chicks.'  Having lost Kris' father to cancer twenty years ago his mother, Mollie, has been the steadying influence in his family...the 'mother plant.'  She never ceases to amaze with her energy and love.  The grandchildren know that to Grandma the most important thing is to look to the Savior.  To this day, when Kris receives a birthday card from her he is reminded to "keep the commandments and hold to the iron rod."   
 He takes great pleasure in telling our own kids that parents will always be parents!  They will always care about the spiritual welfare of their children, no matter how old they get!  Our family is blessed by the fact that Kris inherited a spirit much like his mother's...naturally tender, gracious and kind. 

Here are a few Mother's Day trinkets given to me
by my own chicks back in the 'olden days.' 

~Placemat from Ty 
~Wooden recipe book holder from Chase
~Hand-made strawberry pin from Anne Marie
~A "ruby" ring purchased from a school 'store' from Chase
~Hand-made heart shaped pin with glitter and buttons from Call
 ~Necklace made out of rolled paper.  (Which one of my chicks made this for me?)

Anne Marie wrote and gave this to me one year.  I guess
loving the beauties of the earth starts early with us.

It reads:

In many ways I believe my life has
been as a flower in the garden of life.
Many have contributed bits and pieces.
But we all have one gardner...
One who nurtures, loves, and cares for us.
My gardner is my Mother.

A rose may just be a rose...unless...
it was grown, groomed, tended, pruned, and hand
 delivered to you by your mother earlier this 
month on your birthday.  
My "gardener."

"The Savior has always been the protector of those who would
accept His protection.  He has said more than once, 'How oft
would I have gathered you as a hen gathereth her chickens,
and ye would not.'  There seems to be no end to the Savior's 
desire to lead us to safety."

Henry B. Eyering
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful- I love the titles you give your posts-
    and how you weave and bind all your thought together using great analogies-
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know where to begin, I loved the whole thing. You made me cry, wonderful mothers in your and your children's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful flowers happy mothers day to you honey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment on my blog!
    And I love your Hens and Chicks comparison--too cute.

    Best Wishes and Happy Mothers Day...a bit late.

    ReplyDelete