18 April 2009

Tour de France For Dummies

Disclaimer:  The title of this post is the title of a book Kris bought
while we were on vacation.  I thought it was hilarious.

Ty, Call, and Kris prepare for a ride from San Simeon to
Morro Bay.  They did it...27.2 miles of gorgeous world.  
Well, so they tell me.  I drove the car, stopped...took 
photos, drove like mad, stopped some more and tried to
catch them in the frame of my camera as they passed.  
Not as easy as you might think!  I'm pretty
 sure they saw more earth than I did!
 
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of the country best,
since you have to sweat up hills and coast down them.  Thus, you 
remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a hill
impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance
of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bike.

~~Ernest Hemingway

The bicycle is a curious vehicle.  Its passenger
is its engine.
~~John Howard

Thirty three miles this day from Cambria
to San Luis Obispo.

Life is like riding a bicycle--in order to keep your
balance, you must keep moving.

~~Albert Einstein
When I go biking, I repeat a mantra of the day's
 sensations:  bright sun, blue sky, warm breeze, 
blue jay's call...This helps me transcend the 
traffic, ignore the clamorings of work, 
leave all the mind theatres behind and focus
 on nature instead.  I still must abide by 
the rules of the road, of biking, of gravity. 
 But I am mentally far away from civilization.  
The world is breaking someone else's heart.

~~Diane Ackerman

I do find it interesting that both Ty and Chase have
 commented that when they might be feeling down,  
or blah, going for a ride is a mental lift.  And, 
congratulations to Chase for coming in first place
during a recent Ally Cat Bike Race in Salt Lake!   

(By the way...back from the Coast, but today they did 36 miles
from Pier 41 in San Francisco, over the Golden Gate,
through Sausalito, on to Tiburon and back.)  Darn.  
Spring break is over.  

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing that the men in your life have found such a great sport to do together! They will have such cherished memories...

    ReplyDelete